RE: Robohelp et al

Subject: RE: Robohelp et al
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:58:34 -0500

RoboHelp is still a good tool, and Adobe purchased it, though who knows what
their plans are.

There is a new contender called MadCap Flare that you might want to check
out, but I imagine that many people are in the same position I am --- Their
companies are not going to rush out to purchase a new program, retrain
folks, and convert existing applications when the old one is still workable
and still available, so RoboHelp will be around for awhile. In other words,
you won't be wasting time or money to learn RoboHelp.

As with all tools, I think it's most important to learn the concepts rather
than the specific tool --- if you know that a help file can be context
sensitive, it's not that hard to find the information to make it so.

>From she who started in "not even pretending to be WYSIWYG" TDP3000 on a
mainframe, which taught me many things that have served me well through
WordPerfect, Ventura, Framemaker, Pagemaker, Word, RoboHelp, and HTML, and
probably some others I've forgotten by now...

Barb