Re: FW: The Technical Writer vs. Agile Development Methodologies

Subject: Re: FW: The Technical Writer vs. Agile Development Methodologies
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:30:39 -0800 (PST)

--- Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
wrote:

Hi Tony,

What does "the UML techniques strongly retard a focus
on the essential" mean?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan:

UML techniques all employ what is commonly referred to
as a force, artificial approach to system partitioning
("chunking" to us TWs). Basically, with these
techniques, we FIRST draw boxes or ovals or some other
entity, and THEN we try to figure out how they all
interrelate (interconnect). This is an age-old
analyis mistake (we should have matured beyond this
mentality back in the 80's, but we did not).

When we play the old "connect-the-boxes" game, what we
are doing is putting our limited understanding down on
paper, and then trying to force reality to fit this
flawed understanding. In other words, we derail the
all important discovery phase of analysis (analysis
is, in the main, a discovery process).

Tom DeMarco wrote that a model based upon the old
"connect-the- boxes" approach is a lie: It looks like
we did a proper discovery phase, but we did not.

And if our discovery phase has been derailed, we lack
a comprehensive, integrated understanding of the whole
which greatly retards our ability to identify the
essential.

Tony Markos
Focused On The Essential Like A Laser