Re: Giving a Document **One Voice**

Subject: Re: Giving a Document **One Voice**
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:30:29 -0800

At 10:00 AM 2/3/2006, John Posada wrote:

I do this often. The first thing I do is make sure all the documents
are using the same style template. This is one of the reasons I like
FM...it's easier to enforce strict style usage.

I agree completely. In fact, I agree with everything John wrote.

Check that important words are are used consistently. For example,
some authors like "Dialog box", some like "Dialogs"...on any similar
instance, pick one, any one, and stick to it.

I think this is an essential step. And I'd go one step further and
suggest (which I read implicitly in John's words and want to
make explicit) that each time you make a word or style choice,
you write it down so you'll remember the next time what you chose.
This list will become the kernel of a style guide for the document,
and for future projects like it.

martha
--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Too many words bring about exhaustion."
--Tao Te Ching, Chapter 5 (translated by Sheets/Tovey)