The New Communication (was Formality going Bye, Bye)

Subject: The New Communication (was Formality going Bye, Bye)
From: Collin T <tutivillus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:24:21 -0700

---------------------Nuckols, Kenneth M said:

>If we are a more "immediate" society, then I would submit it's out of
>necessity and not necessarily "dumbing down." There's more "stuff" to
>know, therefore, it's more important that we "know it when we need it."
>If anything, IMO, the educational paradigm should be about teaching
>students (1) a basic understanding of a broad variety of subjects, and
>_more important_ (2) a thorough understanding of how to quickly and
>efficiently winnow through the intellectual "chaff" that bombards one on
>a daily basis to find pertinent and useful information when it is
>needed.

---------------------Collin replied

This brings up a very interesting point.

As a techwriter AND multimedia developer I see the world outside of
words. I've paid careful attention to how our society communicates.
I've watched my kids use their Text Messaging and Chats. I've noticed
how my regular email, chat and Text Messaging habits have evolved.
And I have been working with Video/Flash based training for years now.

It all points to one thing that Kenneth touched on.

We are being bombarded by information. Our "Information Exposure" is
not unlike like UV rays -- we can't avoid them and we absorb them even
when we think we're protected.

I know, as a Technical Writer, that Imagery and Interactivity are
becoming more important. I fire up Captivate and work my words into
the "video" I produce. It seems a perfect fusion of Traditional
communication and the New Communication.

I know this topic has been hi many times. But my point is this:

Technical writing and interactivity must begin working together. In
addition, we must strive to meet the "Communication Norm" that is
being born out of modern communication tools.

What does this include?

1. Less formality for the greater user base.
2. Incorporation Interactive technologies (Captivate, Video,
Interactive help (smart help), etc) must be used in place of
screenshots and simple description.
3. Creating new and interesting deliveries of written and online material.

How is this to be done? Well, I have my ideas, but what are some of yours?

-Collin Turner
--
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long
plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die

- Hunter S. Thompson