Re: The New Communication (was Formality going Bye, Bye)

Subject: Re: The New Communication (was Formality going Bye, Bye)
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Collin T <tutivillus -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:36:24 -0800 (PST)

Excellent point, Collin. We're not writers, we're
educators.

I don't think we need to throw away the rules of
grammar and start using IM-speak, but we must open our
minds to new and better ways of writing and designing
documentation. I've read some of the stuff I've
written over the last 10 years, and it is BORING!
Unfortunately, most tech pubs managers and editors
would have a heart attack if they saw a sentence
fragment or an exclamation mark in their
documentation.

I'm constantly thinking about how I can make my
content more engaging. I'm not suggesting that we use
humor or silly elements that might distract readers,
but graphics, analogies, and fictional case studies
would go a long way to enticing the reader to learn
and retain the information we present.

One item that constantly gets in the way is the
ongoing concern about translation. If technical
communicators are going to be successful, we must
treat documentation like a product, constantly
evaluating the costs and benefits of less formal
communication.

Steven Brown
Technical Writer

http://mail.yahoo.com