RE: Being Laid Off

Subject: RE: Being Laid Off
From: "Morton, Christopher" <CMorton -at- caiso -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:49:43 -0800

Each year the <city> Business Journal puts out an annual guide (a list,
actually) of IT firms. That's one of the main reasons I subscribe. Take
advantage of the BJ's online offerings, too. Additionally, through the
year there may be business articles, ads, and so forth in the weekly
edition that you can tear out and place in your "futures" file.

Have you checked in with the local STC chapter? Chamber of Commerce (for
business names you can contact)?

Get yourself your own Internet domain (it's all of $4 to $13 a month at
iPower.com) and get a cool looking resume up there with links to
completed projects, former employers, scanned portfolio items and the
like. Have a conventional resume available for download there in .DOC
and .PDF form.

If you're not a groovy web designer, contact the local junior college,
vocational center, or high school, and inquire of the computer
instructor(s) who their star student(s) is/are. The may knock something
together for you for free just have their own portfolio material.

Check Monster, CareerBuilder, Dice, Craig's List, Business Journal
online for potential gigs.

For me, it's not six degrees of separation, but more like two, at most
three. Who do you know? Who do _they_ know? Milk your contacts... the
gig I had prior to this, at HP, came about because my manager graduated
in my same H.S. class of 600. I only knew _of_ her vi at the year book,
though we traveled in similar circles. The connection was made when a
4th-grade friend put together a Yahoo group for all of us.

Do you attend a church, synagogue, mosque, whatever? Though it's bad
form to be blatant about such matters, it's not bad form to casually let
members of the <organization> body, especially the <organization>
leaders, know of your sudden change in fortune. If you're not a
religious person, what clubs or associations do you belong to?

Heck, you may even learn the identity of potential employers in the
yellow pages.

The best of good fortune to you, Steve!