RE: Being Laid Off

Subject: RE: Being Laid Off
From: "Clare Turner" <cturner -at- redflex -dot- com>
To: "Perkins, Kathy" <KPerkins -at- stinsonmoheck -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:18:17 -0700

I try for a variety of samples vs. a number per se. If I already have a
good example of a user manual, for example, why do I need several more?
I tend to do a wide variety of writing, so I like to have an example of
as many different things as possible. That way, I can pull out what
works for a specific interview.

Also, if I've done some updating to existing documentation, I try to do
a before-and-after. I mean, I can *say* that I wrote something, but for
all the interviewer knows, I changed a comma on a page. So, if there
have been significant changes (content, format, etc.), I have both the
'old' and my 'new' side-by-side so I can show just what it was I did
(with a verbal explanation of why) to the documentation. This has been
a real plus in many interviews.

I also have a mix of hard copy and electronic (on a stick drive - no
website, haven't needed one yet.

Lastly, I also have a ready-to-hand-to-them list of references and
contact information, including how long I've known the contact, from
where, etc. I find that if the interview is going well, offering the
references up front can sometimes cement the deal.