Re: Being Laid Off

Subject: Re: Being Laid Off
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:01:18 -0800

On Friday 24 February 2006 04:25, Martinek, Carla wrote:
> the day after you're done at work, go file
> for unemployment--immediately.  Many states have a waiting period (here
> in IL it's 1 week) before they start your claim.

As a former employee of the Employment Security Department in my state in the
US, I would slightly tweak Carla's good advice.

You can have a claim open any time, even when fully employed--you simply can't
draw benefits when you're working. People who work in a field where lay-offs
are a normal part of the business plan will typically keep an unemployment
claim open all the time. Therefore, you do not need to wait until the day
after you're laid off to file. Your employer's HR may not understand this and
may even exhibit bad behavior when the UI office mails them paperwork. Be
kind but firm with them, as they have nothing to say in the matter (unless
you were fired or quit).

I point this out in observance of the fact that When you file (which calendar
quarter) can affect your benefit amount. A tech writer is likely going to
make the maximum benefit anyway, but it might be worth gathering your pay
stubs and working through an explanation of your state's UI benefit, as at
this website: http://tinyurl.com/hm94c

--
Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com