Re: Being Laid Off - Unemployment Benefits

Subject: Re: Being Laid Off - Unemployment Benefits
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:23:57 -0800

On Sunday 26 February 2006 13:08, Al Geist wrote:

> Ain't statistics wonderful.....

"They use statistics the way a drunk uses a lamp post."

--attribution unknown

As with other recent list discussions (Customer Satisfaction surveys, and Food
for thought), this point paints an unflattering picture of us and our
susceptibility to bias in our efforts to implement predictable technical
communication. While some individuals clearly do overcome these problems in
language, thinking, style, ... still it harks strongly to a comment by a
philospher of science (name escapes me) commenting on the nature of
intelligence and The Big Questions about the structure of the universe:

"We ask these questions in all sincerity, but I think it is improbable that we
are equipped to ever understand the answers."

We are, of course, doggedly persistent and will eventually get a piece of any
problem we identiy and tackle. To wit, I share my Thought for the Weekend:

"24 hours in a day.
24 beers in a case.
Coincidence? I think not."

Have fun.