Re: Warnings at front of document

Subject: Re: Warnings at front of document
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:59:04 -0500

I'm always amused when "boilerplate" warnings are attached,
and most or maybe all of them have no application to the
device in question. "Do not open--danger of electrocution"
when it runs on two AA cells.

How about "Danger--Possibly misleading warnings, written by
lawyers!"

--Peter, cynic again, remembering the guy who cut his hand
open on the legally mandated safety warning sign.

Katie Kearns wrote:

On 2/28/06, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

In all my past experience with manuals involving safety warnings,
the safety warnings chapter was always there to add emphasis
to the importance of the warnings. Of course, my documents all
involved handling things like nuclear devices, gases so toxic they
would kill you before you could smell them or unknown biological
samples.

I've seen the same thing for just simple hardware install guides. I mean,
the potential to electrocute yourself is still there, so legal liked
warnings in multiple places.