Re: Most annoying word

Subject: Re: Most annoying word
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:43:48 -0800

I once was a writer in a lab where we had procedures for verifying the
transcribed data from calibrated instruments. The admirable word 'accuracy'
has cachet in such a setting, and I went in search of a verb form to use when
meaning to increase accuracy in transcribing data. But, what verb form?
Accuratize came to mind as an example of a word I would not like to use.
Accuracy is a glorious word, whereas accuratize seems to be to words what an
ingrown hair is to complexion. Accuratize sounds chaotic to me, richoceting
around the throat and mouth like a tin can being kicked to the kerb.

Anyway, I submitted my ruminations in a question to the editors at Merriam
Webster, asking for any insights into the legitimacy and options in the
practice of verbing. In a few days time, I got back a very nice email in
which the editor thanked me for my question, commended my interest, and
offered a small raft of alternate words I might use. In their final analysis,
'accuratize' was the only candidate verb form of accurate, the others being
even more awkward. Accuratify? Sounds like the votes will be counted
carefully.

Regards,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com