Re: Wanted: Any available doc comparing Word XP and FrameMaker 7.2

Subject: Re: Wanted: Any available doc comparing Word XP and FrameMaker 7.2
From: Paul Findon <pfindon -at- infopage -dot- net>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:53:41 +0000

On 16 Mar 2006, at 14:05, Dan Goldstein wrote:

Hi Paul,

According to your chart, Word 2004 is sadly lacking in features
available in other versions of Word:

* Conditional text
* Sideheads
* Variables
* Hypertext TOC (and you can buy the index equivalent)

Thanks Dan.

I guess these features have different names in Windows Word because I just checked the help in Word 2003 and couldn't find the first three. Do you happen to know what they are in Word terminology?

The fourth item, Hypertext/PDF (TOC, IDX), refers to hypertext links in the source document being carried through to PDF. FrameMaker has done this for 10 years. Windows Word can do it thanks to Adobe's PDFMaker. Alas, Adobe chose not to provide this feature to Mac Word users.

I know some authors who produce their books in Mac Word and switch to Windows Word just for the PDF conversion.

Paul