Re: Boring documentation?

Subject: Re: Boring documentation?
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:25:23 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
>From: David Loveless <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>

>However, I am trying to say that we all could learn something from
>books like the "For Dummies" series. At the very least, we could spend
>the time to find out why so many people use those books.

They're usually written for products that have a hefty pool of potential users, and a good numer of that pool can be counted on to be inexperienced. While their approach is doubtless fitting if the masses are the target for your product, for many of us this is not the case. (People have occasionally wish-listed an O'Reilly book for our product, but never a Dummies book that I know of.)

Of course, lately it seems like they'll take any topic and slap a yellow cover on it, whether or not a Dummies book on the topic makes any real sense.

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
508-725-0937
AIM: RJSWriter