Terminology question

Subject: Terminology question
From: JBlom -at- ricoh-europe -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:57:59 +0100

Hello all,

I am searching for a term and wondered if someone here has had a similar
occurence.

A short background - this term is for a parameter in a printer application
that "reaches out and touches"
other printers to ensure that all warnings on individual printers within
the intranet are
given in a timely manner to the administrator, depending on when the
administrator wants to be
told of certain errors. We are searching for a term that describes a group
of parameters where
each parameter must be configured as to importance, but can be grouped in
different groups
of printers and parameters.

My developer is calling these a "filter", which we both feel is wrong, but
my
idea of "sieve" is slightly incorrect too, as each error is of the same
weight inside the
parameters (although you can assign more importance to individual errors)
and no particular
error at the beginning has more weight than any other.

Any suggestions are very welcome. Thank you!

Best regards
Jennifer K. Blom