RE: Any suggestions for replacing Word

Subject: RE: Any suggestions for replacing Word
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Beth Sargent" <bsargent -at- accutrac -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:18:51 -0500

Beth Sargent said...

> Hello Out There,
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing Word for a more
dependable
> text editor. I find that in writing large documents Word crashes and
saves
> (recovers) frequently. I also find controlling the formatting
challenging.
> That said, suggestions for either a guide to using Word for large
> documents or a better editor would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

What do you consider large documents? I write fairly short documents (30
- 60 pages is typical) and I use InDesign as part of the Adobe Creative
Suite. I find ID does a very good job for me, but I have noticed some
things about it that might make it a little annoying for doing really
long documents (several hundred pages). It does seem a lot more stable
than Word, and it lets you control it instead of fighting you for
control the way Word seems to.

I don't have a lot of experience using these programs, but I've seen
countless numbers of people extol the virtues of FrameMaker, and I think
a fair number of people still use Quark for really long docs. Others can
give you a better feel for the exact strengths and challenges of those
apps.