Re: [Query] Your Experience(s) with AuthorIT

Subject: Re: [Query] Your Experience(s) with AuthorIT
From: "A" <aurora -at- identicloak -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:39:10 -0400 (EDT)

Char James-Tanny wrote:
> Hi, Will :-)
>
> For those folks who can connect directly to the server, there's no
> performance hit.

AIT seems to run well when it is on a dedicated server and only the
folks from your group are hitting it. If you start creating very large
books, then you can lose small amounts of data from a book (not from
the database itself). This is more frustrating than dangerous, because
real data loss is rare and certainly not as catastrophic as checking
many files out of Clearcase and watching them vanish due to network
latency issues.

> That sounds wrong, but I don't work for their support department ;-) I
> know they haven't documented using SQL well, but most folks get
> answers right away. They've had a network testbed for awhile now,
> although I can't tell you exactly how long...I didn't use a network
> for the first several years.

Most users and most shops will be fine, but larger software doc
departments will probably hit its limitations early. I've found the
support to range from great to OK. Bear in mind that the help guys are
in the home office in NZ, so there's going to be some time delay.

Best,
A.u.r.o.r.a

Yes this is a humor site!
--- www.adventuresindefecation.com ---
Third-grade bathroom humor for everyone!