Fwd: UK/US usage: V ac, VAC?

Subject: Fwd: UK/US usage: V ac, VAC?
From: "Paul Goble" <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:19:35 -0600

> Can anyone in the UK confirm that V ac is the accepted, or more commonly used, usage there?
> And can anyone in the US confirm that VAC is the accepted abbreviation?

Considerable variation exists on both sides of the pond. One thing is
people who like to think about the theory of measurements (e.g., physicists and
standards bodies) prefer not to join the unit (V) and the qualifier (AC).

In the US, I usually see "Vac" or "V ac" in government and very formal
and "VAC" in consumer-product manuals.

If you cannot find any industry-specific style guides or standards,
perhaps these examples will help.

The British Standards Institution web site uses "V AC" and "V a.c."

The IEEE Computer Society Style Sheet suggests "Vac"

ANSI/IEEE std 260.4-1996 doesn't say what to use, but says NOT to use "Vac"

On the other hand, some other ANSI publications use "Vac"

There's a good discussion at "An Engineer's Guide to Technical
Writing" (http://www.apec-conf.org/2006/APEC_Writing_Guide.pdf) and at
"A Dictionary of Units of Measurement"

Paul Goble
Colorado Springs, Colorado
techwr-l: pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com
everything else: pg -at- pgcommunication -dot- com

WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help
format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content
delivery. Try it today!. http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Doc-To-Help includes a one-click RoboHelp project converter. It's that easy. Watch the demo at http://www.componentone.com/TECHWRL/DocToHelp2005

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40infoinfocus.com

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.


UK/US usage: V ac, VAC?: From: tech.writer1

Previous by Author: RE: Writer's UA conference - thanks
Next by Author: What's on your flash drive?
Previous by Thread: Re: UK/US usage: V ac, VAC?
Next by Thread: Re: Fwd: UK/US usage: V ac, VAC?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads