Re: Friday pun-ishment

Subject: Re: Friday pun-ishment
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:27:58 -0400

arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net> pondered, " Does anyone out there actually perform polyglot tech writing? I just mess with French, German, Spanish and Italian for fun. Who's getting paid for it? How do you avoid confusing Spanish with Italian?"

I don't get paid to translate (anymore), but I often forget whether I'm thinking in Hebrew or Arabic. Especially which one I'm counting in. Throw in Spanish (European and Mexican) as well as bits of German, Russian, Yiddish, French, Latin, et cetera... I have no idea what language(s) I'm thinking in half the time!

At least I can keep English straight... usually.

More power to you. One of my clients is a self-publishing novelist (hasn't actually sold any books yet, but he's compelled to write and his checks don't bounce) who says hi isn't a _native_ speaker of any of the five languages he's acquired in his travels. Every place he goes, the natives tell him he has an accent from somewhere else. To me, he speaks English with a Spanish accent. When he visits his native Chile or Spain, he's told he speaks Spanish like a German. The bad news is that his writing exhibits the problem. The good news is that he pays me to solve it. At least this time he's starting in terrible English instead of giving me the output of a bad translation from terrible Spanish.