Re: Questions on the Business End of Things

Subject: Re: Questions on the Business End of Things
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:42:37 -0400

Sometimes just have to choose between climbing the

ladder and being able to spend your days doing things you prefer doing.

Gene Kim-Eng
Amen!!! I understand how many people would be interested in doing something with more of a corporate ladder attached to it, but for me..I make a good living doing something I thoroughly enjoy doing, I do not have to worry too much about finding another job if something happens to this one and it is not overly stressful. I am very happy being me right now! :)

Not only that but after putting myself through school as a Nursing Assistant which was three times harder and three times more stressful and paid A THIRD of what I make now...I really don't need any ladders :)

Melissa

From: "Gene Kim-Eng" To: , Subject: Re: Questions on the Business End of Things Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:27:24 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Steiner"
What technical writing jobs that you know of pay more than $100K per year on the East Coast?

I see jobs for Senior Technical Writer on the west coast that pay $120K, however with the cost of Silicon Valley living, I couldn't see my standard of living being better by moving there.

Most non-management tech writing jobs that pay 6 figures require specialized technical skills, such as engineering, biology, chemistry or medical degrees. Almost every writer I know who does not have such a background who breaks the 100K line is a 1099 independent who carries his or her own contracts.

Do you know of anyone who has ever risen beyond TW to become a VP at a company? I think TW is a dead-end job. You become a Senior TW, then a Principal TW or a Team Lead or a TW Manager, but it doesn't go any higher from there. And I think most companies would have a coronary before paying someone with 'writer' in his/her title more than $100K and info.

Facts of life, I'm afraid. Some occupations are more suited to high level advancement than others. I do know of a couple of director/VPs who started up the ladder from tech writing positions, but in addition to project and personnel management they also added business process administration and improvement to their repertoire, both of which bore me to tears. Sometimes just have to choose between climbing the ladder and being able to spend your days doing things you prefer doing.

WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content delivery. Try it today!. http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

--- You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.