Re: [BULK] Re: Questions on the Business End of Things

Subject: Re: [BULK] Re: Questions on the Business End of Things
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:25:49 -0400

"One natural way for tech writers to get some sales experience: if the company that you work for gets any significant amount of business at all through competitive bidding processes, *somebody* in your company is spending time writing responses to RFPs (Requests For Proposal) or otherwise writing proposal documents."

This is a very good idea. I have started to work on proposals for my boss. I started out by offering to help him edit them, and along with him and the Project Manager, I have moved up to being part of the proposal team. I now edit all proposals and have developed a few different templates for them.

Not only is proposal writing a new skill set, I am learning a lot about the business as I do it.

Melissa

From: "Barry Campbell" To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com Subject: Re: [BULK] Re: Questions on the Business End of Things Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:29:55 -0400

On 4/19/06, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

> Unfortunately, most tech writers I know are really terrible > at selling things. Consider many times have you've heard > writers grumble because their employers don't intuitively > understand the value of documentation, vs how many > times you've heard writers talk about how they managed > to "sell" their employers on the concept.

One natural way for tech writers to get some sales experience: if the company that you work for gets any significant amount of business at all through competitive bidding processes, *somebody* in your company is spending time writing responses to RFPs (Requests For Proposal) or otherwise writing proposal documents.

Find out who, and offer to help. You'll find that you can (a) make a big difference and (b) learn a hell of a lot about sales. You will also raise your profile within the company significantly. Proposal writing is a potentially very lucrative subspecialty.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell http://campbell-online.com ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content delivery. Try it today!. http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

--- You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.