Re: Graphics don't display in Word (longish)

Subject: Re: Graphics don't display in Word (longish)
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "Norcross, Amanda" <Amanda -dot- Norcross -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:13:11 -0400

Amanda,
How you're getting the pix into your Word doc may be part
of the problem. Are you pasting, embedding, or linking? That means, do you just copy the graphic to the clipboard
and just paste it in (easiest, but not the most stable method),
do you do Insert > Graphic > From File and then select the
file and say OK, or do you do the Insert > File bit and change
the method to Link before you click OK?

I suspect that you're pasting, which means that Word alone
is responsible for managing the graphic and if you don't
have enough memory or enough file handles, you'll run into
just that sort of trouble.

Try this... Save your graphics to a file -- if they're
screengrabs, use any bitmap format (bmp, gif, jpg, png) --
if they're vector, your best bet is wmf or emf. In your
Word doc, go to where the picture should appear and select
Import > Picture > From File, select the file, select Link
from the drop-down list in the lower right corner of the
db, and click OK.

Note that if you do this, both you and your teammate need to
have graphics stored in the same relative path on the two
machines. And if you need to distribute the doc, go to
Edit > Links and break the links to the external graphic
files.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher