Re: Metrics for Technical Writing.

Subject: Re: Metrics for Technical Writing.
From: wanda <wanda -dot- jane -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:16:56 -0700

Some of the metrics we're looking at for the ROI on our transition to XML authoring include:
Number of new topics authored and edited.
Number of changes to topics.

We're looking for ways to measure the time spent finding the topics that exist and the number of times a topic that exists is not found and reused.

Our manager has a mental model in his head that he can use to produce fairly accurate estimates for resource planning. Of course, now he's being asked to plan two or three years out, on product plans that don't exist, have not been approved, or are so vague they are not useful for our purposes.

How we accomplish this, what the actual metrics will be, and the final values are considered confidential, which has put me in quite the spot! How can I confer with my compatriots on tools, methods, and means if I cannot provide information?

wanda

--
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent.
Pierre Trudeau