Re: Metrics for Technical Writing.

Subject: Re: Metrics for Technical Writing.
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:52:55 -0400

wanda wrote:

being asked to plan two or three years out, on product plans that don't exist, have not been approved, or are so vague they are not useful for our purposes.

How we accomplish this, what the actual metrics will be, and the final values are considered confidential, which has put me in quite the spot! How can I confer with my compatriots on tools, methods, and means if I cannot provide information?

Oh, this is easy. You count on your fingers the number of times
in the past three years that your writers have been surprised by
products that appeared as from nowhere and required instant docs.
Multiply that number by three and add the number of properly
scheduled projects undertaken during the same time. The
resulting number is your Best Guess. If it feels too low, increase
it a bit. If it feels too high, don't touch it.

For the confidential information say, "If I were to guess, I
might say, 'Xxxx xxx xyyyzy.' " Inflate your numbers a bit to
give some wiggle room in the schedule and to keep you out of
trouble.