RE: Remember those pet peeves?

Subject: RE: Remember those pet peeves?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Janice Gelb" <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 09:30:34 -0700

Here's an alternative perspective:

These terms contain obsolete or archaic words. I would expect that most
modern writers would not immediately know their origin, and thus would
assume the incorrect homophone.

Offhand I can't think of a *perfect* replacement for "strait-laced", but
one might use restricted or even cramped.

Instead of "just deserts", one could simply use "justice" or "what
he(she) rightly deserved".

I might use "great source" instead of "fount", "complete freedom"
instead of "free rein", "trick of the hand" instead of "sleight of
hand", "thrown by" or "disturbed by" instead of "fazed by", "stark
naked" instead of "buck naked".

The phrase "vocal chords" instead of "vocal cords" is different. This
confusion of homophones is plainly not acceptable, since both "chords"
and "cords" are common English words with very different meanings. For
this confusion, I blame the French (naturally).

No, all seriousness aside, I suspect (though I don't know) that the mass
of English homophones comes from a French influence on the pronunciation
of Anglo-Saxon words.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.