Re: Search Engine Rankings

Subject: Re: Search Engine Rankings
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: "Peter Lewicke" <plewicke -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:01:34 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Lweicke wrote:

> I don't claim to be an expert in SEO, but different
> search engines rank sites in different ways. The only
> way that I know works for getting a high listing is to
> have something that is extremely obscure, so that your
> site will be one of very few that will use that word,
> but that doesn't help, because very few people will
> search using that term.

The key is not to be obscure, but to understand how your customer (or
potential customer) views your site. Because each person searches for the
same information in slightly different ways, finding the right keywords is
a challenge. Buying the top keywords works only if those keywords apply
to your company's product(s). Search ranking engines also look at
relavent content, links (internal and external), page design, keyword
placement within content and the color of you jogging shoes. Okay, they
don't care about your shoes, but the point is getting a top ranking on a
search engine is getting harder and harder these days as both the site
developers and the search engine programmers get more sophisticated. You
can spent thousands of dollars buying keywords only to have everything
fall apart when a search engine changes it's algorithm. You can also
spend hundreds of hours creating a respectible organic keyword inventory
to have the same thing happen for the same reason.

I guess what I am saying is that David shouldn't get too excited about an
afternoon project that will probably have zilch impact on the company's
web page search engine ranking. Better to spend the time tasting the
latest libations from the local brew pub, or tequila bar (a shot of Patron
does wonders).

Al