RE: Salaries in rural areas (New England)

Subject: RE: Salaries in rural areas (New England)
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Elizabeth Sprague" <elizabeth -dot- sprague -at- mgemaine -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 08:45:40 -0400

Elizabeth Sprague asked...

> I'm looking for a leg up on salary information for a mid-level and
> senior tech writing with some instructional design responsibilities in
> rural New England.
>
> We're talking rural with a cap-R in a HUB zone. I have been hired
into
> service position and asked, given my many years experience, to do tech
> writing/instructional design instead. This after the State Employment
> office which referred me to the original job deleted all my tech
writing
> experience out of my profile because "we've never had a request for
that
> kind of work here." Go figure.
>
> I've looked at STC but the info there is heavily urban and has zilch
for
> my state. I am a day's drive from any settlement that ever was
> considered a relation to anything with 'Silicon' in it's nickname.
>
> I even scanned STC's info for salaries in AL and MS thinking that
salary
> offerings there might be relevant to my situation. Nothing there.
>
> I'm anticipating push-back in renegotiation of my current salary. Any
> ideas / resources out there?

If you haven't tried it already, look at salary.com, which will allow
you to search by job title by zip code. My understanding is that
salaries here are reported by employers, so you'll get a picture of what
people are paying, but of course that means there have to be some
similar jobs in your area. Not sure how helpful it will be in your
circumstance, but it's another option you can try.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate or copy it.