Re: Salaries in rural areas (New England)

Subject: Re: Salaries in rural areas (New England)
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 07:45:06 -0700 (PDT)

> Elizabeth Sprague wrote:
>> I'm looking for a leg up on salary information for a mid-level and
>> senior tech writing with some instructional design responsibilities in
>> rural New England. We're talking rural with a cap-R in a HUB zone.

Lou Quillo replied:
> If it's that incredibly out-of-the-way...salary will have less to do
with statistics and more with cost of living, pecking order, and how
badly they need the services.

I agree with Lou here. Small companies in out-of-the-way locations often
cannot afford to pay those wages listed in salary.com. Even if they pay
above the prevailing wage for the area, it probably still isn't close to
what you would get living closer to a larger, more technically oriented,
community. A lot of individuals would also forgo higher salaries to live
comfortably in more rural areas, so you have competition from both local
residents looking for additional income and from less rural residents
looking to move away from the rat race. The key to not pricing yourself
our of the market is to know what the market is paying. If the company
managers all drive beater pickups with canoe racks, then you know that
money is not their motivation for working there. Since the company is in
a HUB zone, it probably located there because land and labor was cheap.

Al