RE: Non-TW supervisor

Subject: RE: Non-TW supervisor
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "'Dana Worley'" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:02:22 -0700

Workshops and seminars are fine as refreshers and top-ups (or to get out of
work), but they just don't cut it for the depth of management knowledge a
manager should aspire to. Look for a course or two or more ....preferably a
certificate program or something similar. As for the qualities that got you
promoted, it would be nice to think that they considered demonstrated
management skills ... that there were even opportunities where you could
have shown your potential in that field ... of course if you have routinely
demonstrated "common sense" and have always behaved in a "reasonable and
rational manner", then that's reason enough for the promotion!

Even if you're a natural-born manager, in-depth courses will both
consolidate your knowledge and take you places you had no idea existed ...
It's like reading the software "Bible" AFTER you've first learned a complex
bit of software. There's no down side.

P.S.: THEY remembered to GIVE you KEYS!! I'm impressed. ;_0

Been there. Ran amok too. Bought bootstraps and did a lot of pulling up.

-------------------------------------
Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

On Wednesday, May 10, 2006, Laurel Hickey wrote:

> Inexperienced, yes. Untrained, hopefully not.... Your orientation
> should have covered these...

Training? Orientation? Now there's an interesting concept. Does
"Here's the keys to the filing cabinet" count? :)

While I'm sure there must be some management seminars that are
useful, I have found training of that type mostly bunk. At a former
job, I went to quite a few "Management Skills for Women", "Dealing
with Conflict in the Workplace", etc. type of workshops -- all of which
were a nice break from work but not really worth the time. ....
Really, I think much of *personnel* management (as opposed to
project management, which I also do and in which I am also not
trained...) is common sense and behaving in a reasonable and
rational manner. ...
2 cents,

Dana W.
Inexperienced, Untrained, and Running Amok!