RE: Knowledge Base systems

Subject: RE: Knowledge Base systems
From: "Liane Yee" <LYee -at- rightmedia -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:46:02 -0700

I've used Pineapple's Lore KB for about 6 months. Chose it after
evaluating half a dozen off-the-shelf, inexpensive (~$100) systems. We
use it for both internal and client-facing content.

Pros:
- clean presentation and navigation
- initial config is quick and easy: we customized color scheme, display
of standard page elements like article ID, ratings as stars instead of a
number, etc.
- provides a form for user feedback/comments and article ratings
- has a search log and generates basic usage stats like highest rated
articles, most frequently read, latest

Cons:
- no version control
- doesn't let you tag articles: an article can belong to only one parent
category
- no "draft" feature: an article is either published and visible to all
users or unpublished and visible only to Lore administrators (you can't
just send a link to a draft article to a reviewer)
- no control over sort order of articles (always sorts in alpha order)
- no control over which articles it lists as "related" articles
- keyword search works well enough but if user enters a very general
search term it can return a very long list of results (in our case, can
be 100+ articles out of 250 total)
- HTML formatting can be buggy

We'll need to move to a true CMS soon, but Lore's been a good solution
in the interim.

---
Liane Yee
Right Media Inc.