Re: Was: Conducting Telephone...Now Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Was: Conducting Telephone...Now Interview Questions
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:02:41 -0400

I agree that as an interviewer, it is my job to construct a worthwhile opportunity for all of the candidates to express their suitability for the position. I'm not such a fan of the "are there any questions you have for us?" question. If candidates have done their research, which I expect them to do, they may not have any questions at the interview. I also allow for the fact that some candidates, in an artificial situation such as a job interview, may not feel comfortable asking questions of the person in the decision seat. This is increasingly true in a multicultural workplace.

I am not so much looking for the perfect response to each question, but for an indication of how the person handles themself, how they approach a tough question, how they might have handled certain situations in the past, and how well they are going to fit into our team and our organization. I'd rather take someone who is trainable and willing over someone who thinks they already know it all.

I have interviewed (and hired) candidates who did have perfect responses to all questions, and then who could not perform on the job. I have also hired people who did not "perform" that well in the interview, but who exhibited other qualities of excellence, and who were great assets to the company. Hiring is oftenttimes a crap shoot; I just try to stack the odds as much in my favor as I can.
--Beth

David Loveless wrote:

When I would interview, I always took into consideration that it was
as much my responsibility to create an appropriate interview as it was
the interviewee's responsibility to answer my questions appropriately.
My favorite question? "Do you have any questions or is there anything
else I should know?" That is often my tie-breaker question if I have
two closely aligned and talented people. You can tell a lot about the
person by what they want to know about you and the company.