Re: Was: Conducting Telephone...Now Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Was: Conducting Telephone...Now Interview Questions
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:15:34 -0400

Any question is okay if it does tell you something useful about the candidate. I was once asked, "If you had a goose in a bottle, how would you go about getting the goose out of the bottle, without breaking the bottle or harming the goose?". (There were the same people who asked me, "What can you do with a brick?"). The position required a great deal of creativity, so I expected some off the wall questions (and I got the job, btw). As much as I liked those questions, I have never had occasion to use them in an interview myself.

The hardest things to discern in an interview are a person's values, integrity, work ethic, coping skills, and people skills. Yet these are the things that ultimately make a person suitable or unsuitable for the job. Ask, "Tell me about a time when you were treated unfairly on the job," and you will get some interesting responses.
--Beth

Paul Pehrson wrote:

I'll admit to using the "manhole cover" question in job interviews.
I'm not in an interviewing position currently, but in the future I
wouldn't use the question anymore. I've decided (with a little bit of
distance) that it doesn't tell you much that is useful about the
candidate, and more often than not comes across as being
unprofessional and dorky.