Re: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help? (take II)

Subject: Re: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help? (take II)
From: "Katie Kearns" <katie -dot- kearns -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:34:45 -0700

On 5/22/06, John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com> wrote:

To bolster my opinion, I got confirmation from Jared Spool (principal of
User Interface Engineering, www.uie.com) who stated that in 20 years of
observing users in hands-on tests of online help systems, he had never
seen a single person use the TOC.

Weird -- we did usability tests of our help system and people used the TOC,
the index, and the search, depending on who the users was (and their
preferences) as well as the task at hand.

Maybe we had weird testers? :D

-Katie