Re: Did I overreact?

Subject: Re: Did I overreact?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:59:42 -0700

I'm assuming from the previous post that Kenneth meant
one should decline to accept recruiting calls from recruiters
and search out one's own opportunities, but just in case it wasn't...

Once you have been contacted by an agency for a given position the client company is obligated to pay that agency their fee regardless of how they finally end up engaging you.
Bet on the agency keeping a list of candidates it contacted
regarding any position, being able to find out that the candidate
eventually hired is someone on that list and going after the
client company for its fee. The end result of this will most
likely be that the client will terminate the employee/contractor
(there's a reason why companies always ask "how did you learn about this position?)

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: Kenneth Nuckols

My take on this whole thread from the positive, negative, and
indifferent experiences others have had working with recruiters is that
it is nice to have a relationship with a recruiting firm at the time you
are not actively seeking a new job or new contract (they keep you
abreast of opportunities in the field) but when it comes time to make a
job change, it seems you're almost always better off kicking the
recruiter to the curb and approaching companies as an self-represented
independent agent.