File sharing?

Subject: File sharing?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, obair <obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:38:49 -0400

Paul wondered: <<What file sharing services, like leapfile dot com, would folks recommend? I need to be able to trade large files with, for example, our translator, and our developers are also in need of such a service.>>

Here are some options I found when I was researching my editing book (coming this summer to a Geoff's site near you <g>):

·      Yahoo offers 30 megabytes of free storage via their Briefcase service (http://briefcase.yahoo.com).
·      You can purchase paid software such as Apple's Mac.com service for Mac and Windows users (www.mac.com), which provides both Web-based e-mail and space for file transfers.
·      The Dropload service (www.dropload.com) allows you to send files up to 100 megabytes to anyone with an e-mail address, and automatically deletes the files after 7 days. Donations requested.
·      RapidShare (http://rapidshare.de) also offers up to 100 megabytes per file, deletes files after 30 days if you don't delete them yourself, and makes the files available only to people who know the correct Web address for the file, but caps downloads at 30 megabytes per hour for free use. Premium (paid) subscriptions are also available with more features.
·      YouSendIt (www.yousendit.com) offers free uploads of up to 1000 megabytes via a secure channel, with access only available to those who you send the Web address for the file. There are also paid "business solutions" that were not defined as I was writing this.
·      SendThisFile (http://sendthisfile.com) offers a free service with no stated maximum file size, but with minimal security and only 3 days to download the file, or a paid service with full security and various business account options.

There are undoubtedly others.

www.geoff-hart.com