OT: How to identify print job origination

Subject: OT: How to identify print job origination
From: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:14:02 -0400

I know this is a bit off topic, but here's our problem:

Our company develops software for financial institutions, such as banks,
trust companies, credit unions, insurance companies, etc. We're having a
serious problem with people printing off statements, cheque runs, screen
shots, etc. Sometimes the information printed is fictitious, but sometimes
it is actual client data.

Stuff seems to be printed at whim - and can sit at the printer for
days/weeks/etc. Other times, this type of information is carelessly tossed
into our blue recycling box. We provide several shredding containers
throughout the company, which is where this information should go. We have a
company come in every couple of weeks and empty these containers and take
them away for shredding.

Whether the information is fictitious or not, if the perception is that we
are not securing our client information, the results for our company would
be devastating.

So, my question is this... does anyone know of any way to determine which
person/PC printed a job? I suppose we could set our printers up to print a
"banner" page before every print job, but I'm wondering if there's another,
perhaps more efficient way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Suzette Leeming

--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18.
- Albert Einstein