Re: OT: How to identify print job origination

Subject: Re: OT: How to identify print job origination
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:35:49 -0400

Suzette Leeming wrote:

Our company develops software for financial institutions, such as banks,
trust companies, credit unions, insurance companies, etc. We're having a
serious problem with people printing off statements, cheque runs, screen
shots, etc. Sometimes the information printed is fictitious, but sometimes
it is actual client data.

That's bizarre. I can't imagine any rationale for your clients' providing access to live data in the first place. That seems like something an auditor would frown on.

Stuff seems to be printed at whim - and can sit at the printer for
days/weeks/etc. Other times, this type of information is carelessly tossed
into our blue recycling box.

Your print server knows who is printing each job. I don't know if there is any off-the-shelf software that runs on a print server and automatically prints a status line at the top of every page, but that might be something worth looking into--or even ginning up in-house. A banner page only helps if the job stays with the banner. Printing a status line on every page saves the waste of a sheet of paper for the banner, but it puts an ugly line on every page you print, which may be a problem for docs you're sending out to clients.

We provide several shredding containers
throughout the company, which is where this information should go. We have a
company come in every couple of weeks and empty these containers and take
them away for shredding.

I was having trouble with people sending jobs to the company's full-size office printer (rather than to their department printers) and then forgetting them. We switched banner pages on and we also put a set of pockets on the wall and sorted printed jobs into them by last initial. A sign said jobs would be discarded if not picked up within X days. In your case it could even be X hours.

As for the shredding issue, if the banner sheet or status line identifies who printed the job, it should be relatively simple to get people to pay attention to confidentiality rules.

HTH,

Dick
http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com/