RE: Push for Simpler Spelling: English as a Global Language

Subject: RE: Push for Simpler Spelling: English as a Global Language
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: <eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:46:23 -0700

Yipe!

I'm against "simplified" spelling for different reasons.

I am a historian by nature; I want to how we arrived at the place we're
at now. Simplifying spelling would erase the history from words,
decoupling them from their roots and their meaning. English is hard to
learn, to be sure, but once learned it provides richness and nuance. I
hope that we will never lose that.

After all, what written language is that ordered? I could argue against
all languages, including the "models" we are often offered such as
German or Latin.

I think that proper spelling is an aid to quick, clear comprehension in
technical writing. Other than that, I am fascinated by spelling and
etymology. Proof of this is that I looked up the word "etymology" before
I wrote it! I am not against an evolution in spelling, grammar, or
language, but if it does not serve my customers I avoid it.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.