RE: Colorblind Users WAS: blue link special

Subject: RE: Colorblind Users WAS: blue link special
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:13:00 -0700

Technical writers and engineers must now be aware of all types of
accessibility issues, including the various forms of colorblindness. The
US Federal government has accessibility standards, which means that
anything you produce for them has to meet the standards, and anything
you produce for someone who produces for them *also* has to meet the
standards.

David, I immediately have a question for you. Your description implies
(at least to me) that underlining hyperlinks is not sufficient for
colorblind users. Is that correct, or did I misread your message? What
typographical standards/distinctive treatment do you recommend?

I am not committed to coloring links. My desire is to format links in a
way that is most familiar to all users.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.