Fwd: translation

Subject: Fwd: translation
From: Norm Dancy <norm -at- navix -dot- jp>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- c <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 02:14:20 +0900

I'm sorry everyone. I sent the following response to obair81 without sending it to the group too. My mistake. I didn't realize I had to also include the address for the group. My note appears below.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Norm Dancy <norm -at- navix -dot- jp>
Date: July 19, 2006 2:11:17 AM JST
To: obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net
Subject: Re: translation

I don't know about any other languages but 'Ethernet' does have a transliterated word in Japanese. It is pronounced somewhat close to the English but it is not written in English. '12 V ac' in Japanese would be properly rendered as '12VAC' in Japanese. So when it gets right down to specs., at least for Japanese, the way of presenting the information does indeed need to be translated even if that translation results only in a transliteration or alteration of the style of presentation. A knowledgeable translator would be able to render it into the target language without a problem. A less-than-capable translator would have problems.

Even the presentation of a table of specifications is different in Japanese. In Japanese the label (Weight) appears on the left column, the colon (:) is in the center, aligned vertically, and the value is listed to the right (95g). They wouldn't think of placing a colon immediately following the word to which it is attached. Although not technically translation things are still done differently in the two languages and a qualified translator (and maybe typesetter) is still required.

On Jul 19, 2006, at 1:55 AM, obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net wrote:

Terms like Ethernet, countless acronyms, and so on.

Norm Dancy

Cell phone: +81 (0)90-9960-4445
Seattle: +1 360-519-5683
Seattle: +1 425-906-3510