Usability through Fun

Subject: Usability through Fun
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 05:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

We say over and over that our writing should not use humor as it can
be misinterpreted and takes the chance of being offensive to those
who might not see the humor.

Take a look at the attached link to the Creating Passionate Users
blog (or is it a web site) and I'd like to know what comments others
may have about it.

http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/07/usability_throu.html

The two points (among others) that caught my eye were:

"Before, residents threw the water report away and never read it, but
now they not only read it, they look forward to receiving it... and
they keep it all year!"

and

"No one ever commented about the old report, good or bad, but today
we get unbelievable amounts of unsolicited feedback from citizens,
businesses, and peer cities."

Don't we want that?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."