RE: Survey Question

Subject: RE: Survey Question
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:48:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa Romie

I have never been asked to document software I can't see. I
always get access to the software in the development environment where I
can see the progress and can begin to learn how to use it.

It seems quite impossible to document software you can't see.

Lisa
---------------------------------

It's not impossible, but nigh to. And it happens more than you think.
Often you just get the specs on what it's *supposed* to do (and we all
know how often the specs and the final product match 100%).

Usually the best one can do is request (or demand) access to all
development docs and to the developers, and a WRITTEN date of when you
can actually get your hands on the product to validate what you've
written. And then, IN WRITING, specify that your delivery dates are
contingent on when they provide you information and access.

And if they won't give you any of that, I'd respectfully decline the job
if at all possible. We might be good at writing, but we're not
omniscient!

Carla
cmartinek|zebra|com

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.