Help! Framemaker is generating a TOC in the wrong order

Subject: Help! Framemaker is generating a TOC in the wrong order
From: "Ealasaid A. Haas" <writer -at- ealasaid -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:03:50 -0700

Hi, everybody!

I am a newbie tech writer having a FrameMaker problem. Nothing new here.

BUT! It has totally stumped the Frame guru AND all our books AND the two books we just bought. So here I am.

The issue is this:

I have a good-sized book with several chapters. When I generate the Table of Contents, it produces a bizarrely reordered mess. For a chapter structured like this:

<ChapterTitle>Chapter Title!
<H1F.Heading1First>The First Bit
<H1.Heading1>The Second Bit
<H1.Heading1>The Third Bit
<H1.Heading1>The Fourth Bit

It generates this:

The First Bit
The Second Bit
Chapter Title!
The Third Bit
The Fourth Bit

It was assigning incorrect page numbers to things for a while but has spontaneously stopped doing so - but I don't know why! We've been playing around with the order of the appropriate lines on the Reference pages, but that's about it.

Any light you folks might have to shed on the subject would be much appreciated. It's probably something tiny and simple, but we can't find it.

Many thanks!!!
Ealasaid