RE: Why marketing should make the user manuals

Subject: RE: Why marketing should make the user manuals
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Rebecca Stevenson" <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 07:57:08 -0500

This just in from another user in B&W land....

Yes, B&W doesn't necessarily have to be uninspiring and can be done
well, perhaps even artfully. But I'd go for color were the vote up to
me. Can't cite chapter and verse right now -- perhaps others can -- but
I've read that studies show color improves reader retention in
documents. Seems intuitive. Assuming that's the case, we have a
pedagogical reason, as well as a flashy one to favor color. We seem to
be intimating a bit that we can have polish OR content. I'd like both.
Only if both aren't possible would I defer to the content side.