FWD: Cutting a contract short

Subject: FWD: Cutting a contract short
From: Administrator <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 04:06:37 -0600

Forwarded anonymously on request:

I'm currently in the middle of a 6-month contract that I'm considering cutting short to look for another opportunity. There are several factors involved, such as a relatively low current pay scale, the fact that my current position involves very little writing (maybe a few days worth out of the whole 6 months and that's pretty much done), and that the contract is expected to end shortly before Christmas, a rough time to be out beating the streets for a new contract. I'll mention that I was told up front there is a fair chance my contract might be extended, but there's certainly no guarantee of that and even then most of the negatives I mentioned will still hold true.

I'm concerned over how many and how badly I'll burn bridges if I do leave. There's the agency I'm working through. I haven't worked with them before, but I'm fairly new to this area and am worried about burning relationships. And of course I'll annoy the company I'm currently working with since they have another non-writing task that they'd like to stick with for the next few months while they prepare to roll out a product.

Can anyone offer any wise words of counsel?