Re: FWD: Cutting a contract short

Subject: Re: FWD: Cutting a contract short
From: CGiordano -at- EvergreenInvestments -dot- com
To: Administrator <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:33:27 -0400

ending the contract. Follow the advice of some of the other posters,
because these situations can vary tremendously. Trust your gut

I had a previous gig that was wretched, very similar to the OP in that
actual writing was about 5 % of the job, what they really needed was a top
notch process engineer, what they really wanted was a meek and mild
admin/doormat, what they got was an extremely experienced, highly
motivated professional who went nuts trying to make something worthwhile
happen.

When I reviewed my contract, I realized that the initial end date was
significantly earlier than the discussions had centered on. In this
market, an initial 3- month contract is pretty common, even if the
workload is expected to go well beyond 90 days. I was told during
interviews that the contract would go through 1st quarter, but the
document said the end of July. And it required that i give the agency 30
days notice. I did that, and they waited until two weeks prior to notify
the employer. While my immediate supervisor had issues with it, no one
else did. I had run the gamut of trying to repair the situation with my
direct supervisor, contacting the employer's HR department, and discussing
the situation with the agency. I fulfilled all my obligations, knew it
wasn't going to get better, and starting suffering mental and physical
health effects. I don't regret ending it early, because I did the right
thing by everyone concerned. I'm in a much better situation now, because i
learned so much about realistic expectations and asking a lot more
questions!

I definitely second the recommendations to begin laying the groundwork for
the next contract before the current one ends... it goes a long way
towards reducing your potential bench time.

Good luck to you whatever your decision ends up being.Connie P Giordano, M
Senior Technical Advisor/Technical Writer
Evergreen Investments
704/383-4405