Re: Contractor Rates

Subject: Re: Contractor Rates
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Richard Lewis" <r44lewis -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 06:57:24 -0700

Here in Silicon Valley, my experience has been that the high rate contracts
are commonly not posted on sites such as Dice, but are the result of direct
contacts between clients and contractors they have either previously done
business with or have been referred to by word of mouth. The "contracts"
posted on open sites are usually W2 temp jobs posted by agencies.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Lewis" <r44lewis -at- yahoo -dot- com>

I recently reviewed the rates for all W2, 1099, and CORP Tech Writer contract jobs on Dice.com with a rate range given. Currently about fifty of the 389 such jobs on Dice give a rate range. Of these, there are a good number of $22-29 per hour jobs, a good number of $30-39 per hour jobs, and a smaller number of $40 -50 per hour jobs. I counted a total of three TW jobs that pay above $50 per hour (and one of them required someone with a programming background).

In the San Fransisco/Silicon Valley area, six of the seven jobs that I found have a pay rate pay of from $25 to $45 per hour. The seventh paid $65 per hour.

Questions:

1.) Are the jobs on Dice exceptionally poor paying? (They seem to be about right for jobs in my area (Indianapolis)).