Re: Contractor Rates

Subject: Re: Contractor Rates
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Richard Lewis" <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "Richard Lewis" <r44lewis -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:08:08 -0700

Richard,

I would say that here in the valley that is the case for contracts
in what we consider "high rate" ($60-75/hr and up) ranges.
These usually require specific technical backgrounds in the
particular field, and are almost always 1099. "Average"
agency rates for temp writers are all over the map right.
$30-60 is a fairly good approximation of the range,
depending on the client and the experience required..

In these parts, the default first step in hiring a contractor for
anything (not just writers) is almost always to ask "does
anyone know someone who would be good for this?"

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Lewis" <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>

Thanks for the response. You are essentially saying that well "networked" contractor Technical Writers makes alot more than those whose who need to rely on an agency to get an assignment. I would agree with that; although, it has been my experience that most TWs are not so we connected.

I really got the impression from the previous recent posts on this topic that the higher rates were what the typical TW (i.e., not just the well connected) could expect.