Hard to Revise a UI? (take II)

Subject: Hard to Revise a UI? (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:48:35 -0400

Nancy Allison wondered: <<I always wonder where writers like Cooper get their great examples, and I'm always trying to collect my own.>>

He lived the life for many years. Spend enough time hanging out in any community and you gradually collect a stock of anecdotes. I could tell ya many tales about writers and editors, ferinstance... <g>

<<Is it really burdensome to change the wording in a UI? If a prompt is vaguely worded, or if something is misspelled, is it very hard for a developer to correct it? I was once told that a change I proposed would be "too expensive." It involved changing the wording in a single popup box, and it would have made a huge difference to the usability of the UI.>>

Usually, that's programmer-speak for "I have 3 hours to do 300 hours of work, and though I'd love to help, I really don't have time to do this for you." Other times, it's "I can do that in 30 seconds, but then I have to wait for an hour while the code recompiles, and I can't even start the recompile until everyone else finishes what they're doing".

Changing a text string is trivial, but there's always more to consider than just the string. For example, if the string has to fit on a graphical button that won't automatically resize, or if it's necessary to figure out how to fit a resized button within a fixed- size dialog box, or if the programmer took a shortcut and used the same words in several places that really require their own unique wording, and so on... Then it takes a bit of work to make sure that changing the text doesn't introduce any unexpected problems in the interface. Plus there are typos, the risk of editing the wrong string (a lookalike string in a different part of the interface), and so on.

In short, it adds an additional quality assurance step for each such change. This is another good reason for designing the interface correctly right from the start: less things to fix and test later.

Changing the string is easiest if the text is stored in an external file that is added into the code during compilation; programmers quite naturally don't trust us to go mucking about in their code, and while we play with the words, a block of code isn't available for the programmers to work on.

Delphi makes this much easier, since the developers gave me a .LAN (language?) file to edit, and so long as I was careful not to wipe out any of the control codes used to define the boundaries of the text strings or any of various special characters, I could work directly in that file without disturbing them at all. In fact, I could use Word's revision tracking* so they could see what I had done and discuss it with me if they thought I'd screwed up. But you still need the quality control step to be sure you haven't screwed anything up.

* The file is in text format. Open it in Word, save it as a Word document, edit using revision tracking, return to the developer. After they incorporate all the edits, and check three times to be sure they really did it right, save again in text format. Works a treat!

www.geoff-hart.com