Re: FWD: What to do about a recommendation?

Subject: Re: FWD: What to do about a recommendation?
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:13:33 -0700

Administrator at TECHWR-L wrote:

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply to the list.
<snip>

the person now wants to use me as a reference.

* Some other option I haven't thought of

Would I be right in guessing that your interview process did not get to the bottom of whether this contractor was a good match? In other words, this contractor is fit for, and would do better if assigned to some less-specialized work? I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but I am curious about how you got into the scrape you've described.

At any rate, I believe the standard procedure now is:

1. Ask the person to write his/her own reference, and give it to you.
2. You then line out or revise it so that you would be willing to sign your name to it.
3. Hand it back, and speak a sincere 'Good luck.."

Any ensuing negotiaition can be done with short, impersonal responses to make it clear that you have done everything you intend to do to fulfill the request for a reference. You may want to brush up on a look that says, 'That's my reference, use it if you want', to head off further discussion.
In my experience of the past decade, most employers have a policy of 'You work for me, so don't ask me to do anything for you.'. This makes me less presuming, about any entitlements I have as a contractor, than the contractor you're fretting about. If I am going to ask for a reference or for permission to keep a copy of something and show it outside of the company, I make it clear in initial interview. I often say, "I am looking for a reference at the end of this position. Will you provide it if I meet the expectations we've discussed?"

Good luck to both of you.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com