Re: Portfolios and examples

Subject: Re: Portfolios and examples
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, Sharon Smithe <slsmithe -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:03:07 -0700 (PDT)

> > I'm working on updating my portfolio. Right now I've got
> > about 20 examples in there, but I think that may be too much
> > and will probably pare it down. Most of them are hardware and
>
> My portfolio depends on the job I'm interviewing for, and I never
> take more than six documents at the most (and I only take that
> many if most of them are smaller one-to-four pager publications).

My portfolio has over 50 documents, all in their own platic holders
(maybe more, haven't counted) and it's the same for every interview.
Can't tell you the number of times an interview on X position has
evolved into something else as we spoke.

"Have you done proposals?" Sure...wanna see one?
"Functional specs?" Yep...this one was done on a CRM application and
this one was done for a software application.
"UNIX documentation?" Sure...here's a whole application and here's a
tool.
"Installation?" Sure...UNIX or Windows?
"Ya'know, sometimes we need to review marketint stuff." No problems,
I've done it...want to see?
"Online help?" yep, here's a CD with about 5 different helps.

Something on APIs, database data dictionies, data flow diagram...you
get the point.

Now, let's look at my section on commendations, then we can look at
training certificates.

I pretty much know where every piece is and as we're talking, I can
reach into the binder and open it to the spot where the document can
be found.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."